Legal Services

Requests for legal assistance should be directed to Javier Guzman (617-496-8549 or, to Julie Faber (617-495-4398 or, or to the Vice President and General Counsel. In the event that these people are unavailable and the matter requires immediate attention, please contact any of the other attorneys in the Office of the General Counsel. Your matter will then be assigned to the appropriate University Attorney, who will then contact you directly. Of course, you should also feel free to contact directly attorneys in the OGC who have expertise in the area relating to your matter.

The Office of the General Counsel engages outside counsel to work on particular matters when considerations such as cost and specialized subject matter make it appropriate to do so. University personnel should not contact outside counsel concerning University business without prior consultation with the OGC. Similarly, all communications from outside attorneys should be referred to the OGC.

Legal Referrals

The Office of the General Counsel represents the University, including individual Harvard officials acting in their official capacities. The Office does not represent individual faculty, students, staff members or administrators in personal legal matters outside the scope of their business as University officials.

From time to time, members of the University community need personal legal advice or representation. Faculty and staff may obtain a free telephone consultation with an attorney through Harvard's Employee Assistance Program (EAP). For more substantial, ongoing services, the EAP provides referrals to attorneys who offer a 25 percent reduction in legal fees. For more information, call the EAP at 1-877-EAPHARV (1-877-327-4278). The Office of the General Counsel is familiar with the legal resources available in the Boston area and is pleased to provide general information about how members of the community may obtain legal assistance. Except to identify outside attorneys who may be available to provide such services, the University plays no role in the engagement. The individual must make his or her own arrangements, including fee arrangements, with the outside attorney.